124 Second Street
South Whidbey Commons (Residence / Optometrist / Book Store)
Circa 1975. Arrow indicates building with attached barn facing McLeod Alley (Courtesy South Whidbey Historical Society).
The building was constructed in 1949 as a residence with an attached barn. According to Mark Myers, the Meyers family lived there from 1967 to 1968. Langley Mayor Leo Lee owned it and sold it to Alf R. Hagen. Ron Lind remembers renting the barn from Leo Lee for storage.
2004. Golden Otter Books (Courtesy Robert Waterman).
Geraldine ("Geri") Galpin ran "Golden Otter Books" in the building for a few years.
2005: Island Coffee House & Books
In 2002, a group of residents formed a non-profit organization called the "South Whidbey Commons" to foster a healthy south Whidbey Community. According to a history of the South Whidbey Commons, "In 2005, Island Coffeehouse & Books opened in the former Golden Otter Bookstore as a program of the South Whidbey Community Engagement Center. In 2006, Island Coffeehouse & Books bought the bookstore."
"In 2007, South Whidbey Commons became the umbrella organization for Island Coffeehouse and Books. In 2008, the building was purchased by the Commons. In 2010, the name was changed to South Whidbey Commons Coffeehouse Bookstore."
"Their leadership and volunteers developed the barista training program, fostered youth involvement, and initiated many activities, including Friday Night Live."
2010: South Whidbey Commons Coffeehouse Bookstore
2018. South Whidbey Commons (Courtesy Robert Waterman).
A number of improvements were made to the building and grounds.
The former barn was incorporated into the building and had its own address, 113 McLeod Alley.
2018. North side of South Whidbey Commons (Courtesy Robert Waterman).