1974: Erosion nears buildings on north side of First Street
Circa 1952. Aerial view of First Street (Courtesy South Whidbey Historical Society)
Historically there was sufficient land to the north of the buildings to allow horses to be tethered behind the Livery Stable, a "Tourist Park" behind the Hotel Langley, and three small cabins behind the Dog House Tavern.
1974. Beach at the north side of buildings on First Street (Courtesy Langley City Hall)
By 1974 erosion of the bank had begun to undermine the buildings along the north side of First Street.
1975: Concrete seawall built
A concrete seawall was constructed and earth placed behind it to create a park.
1976. Stages in construction of the seawall (Courtesy Langley City Hall)
1976: Seawall dedication
1976. Dedication of the seawall (Courtesy Langley City Hall)
The completed seawall and park was dedicated by Langley mayor Don Manchester and his wife, who broke a bottle of champagne on the wall. The event was filmed by KOMO TV and witnessed by a small crowd of community members including those who helped with the construction of the wall. Following the ceremony on the beach, the group gathered in the Dog House for a party with the mayor presiding.
2008. Seawall Park (Courtesy Christopher Waterman)
Benches and lights were added, as well as two totem poles carved by local artists, one of which was moved from Boy and Dog Park.
2016. Two totem poles (Courtesy Robert Waterman)